Pavilion History

One of Winnipeg most recognizable and beloved landmarks, the Pavilion has served as the heart of Assiniboine Park for over 100 years.

The original Pavilion, designed by Winnipeg architect J.D. Atchison and built in 1908, was a two-storey structure featuring a high tower, wide balcony, dance hall, banquet room, lunch and catering facilities. The tower concealed a 16,000 gallon water tank. At a construction cost of $19,000, the Pavilion was built for summer use only and the quality of the structure did not match the quality of design. It was destroyed by fire in 1929; all that remained was the pergola and lily basin to the north.

The second Pavilion was designed by local architechural firm Northwood and Chivers and constructed quickly over the next year, officially opening May 24, 1930. The architects imitated elements of early English architecture and gave the building a mock Tudor half-timbering, bell tower, and roof line reminiscent of thatching. Once home to a second level restaurant and dining room, the Pavilion fell into disuse and is remembered primarily as a seasonal facility with a main floor canteen and rental hall on the second level.

The current Pavilion, beautifully restored and renovated, re-opened in October 1998.